birding-aus

Birdwatching in Qatar

To: "Shirley Cook" <>, "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Birdwatching in Qatar
From: "Billinghurst, David (CALCRTS)" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:31:29 +1100
> I have a friend who will be leaving this Thursday 10 March to spend a couple
> of
> months in Qatar, independent emirate - a peninsula on the Persian Gulf.
>
> Does anyone have any birding contacts in this country?  Recommended Field
> Guide? etc.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Shirley Cook

I used Birds of Britain & Europe: With North Africa & the Middle East
(Collins Pocket Guide) by Hermann Heinzel, Richard Fitter, John Parslow
in Dubai.   It covered all the birds I saw, and has been useful in Europe
as well.  I also picked up a Colin Richardson's guide to UAE birding
which provided some local knowledge.  Don't know if there is a Qatar equivalent.

I was recommended Birds of the Middle East and North Africa by Hollom, Porter,
Christensen and Willis, but I didn't look for it.

Field Guide to the Birds of the Middle East (Princeton Field Guides)
by R. F. Porter, S. Christensen, P. Schiermacker-Hansen was published
in late 2004.  Has a couple of good reviews on Amazon.

I was amazed at the bird life in and around Dubai, once I got out of
the air conditioned car/hotel/office and opened my eyes.

        David

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and may contain
privileged information. If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or
distribution of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not
read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments.
This notice should not be removed.