birding-aus

WTNT at Violet Town

To: "birding-aus" <>, "Mike Tarburton" <>
Subject: WTNT at Violet Town
From: Barry McLean <>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 05 11:23:05 +1100
Hi all,

While scanning for raptors above the hill (with the communications
towers) adjoining our property near Violet Town I discovered a small
number of what appeared to be Needletails, which were invisible without
binoculars.  They were surfing in the easterly wind and as I was to the
west they were only coming in to view above the crest for a few seconds
at a time. Since I wanted to be certain of the ID and to see if there was
a 'mob' or just a few, I ran (actually trudged as fast as I could) up the
hill to the crest.  This took about 20 minutes but I had several good
clear views on the way before  I got to the top about 7.55pm AEDT, in
time to watch the last couple of birds for 30sec or so before they
disappeared. There were a minimum of 6 birds but could have been many
more.

In contrast to the WTNTs I reported seeing recently at Rushworth, which
were fluttering quite slowly above the treetops, these birds were moving
fast with typical Swift flight.

Barry