birding-aus

sightings at royal NP

Subject: sightings at royal NP
From: Teresa du Bois <>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:10:46 +1100
Hi all,

whilst on Mt. Bass fire trail saturday morning at Royal NP, I
saw two beautiful firetails within a patch of heathland. The
same morning, on Wises Track, I had a very good look at an
inquisitive male southern emu wren in heathland. There were
plenty of tawny crowned honey eaters doing acrobatic
displays, new holland honey eaters, as well as yellow tailed
black cockatoos and a rufous fantail further into the forest.
At Audley there was a pair of crested shrike tits eating
grasshoppers. The resident sulphur crested cockatoos were
very entertaining, one seemed to be playing pick-a-boo with
me on the verandah of the dance hall! Another one seemed to
be saying 'look what i've got', as it was playing with a
piece of blue balloon in front of us. All in all, the birds
seemed very curious, and not as shy as what we are used to.
My partner Jamie caught, who studies the pygmy possum, caught
one in an area of burnt forest. He was a cute little guy...
and so was the possum!

Cheers,

Teresa