birding-aus

another bird identification request

To: Tim Shawcross <>
Subject: another bird identification request
From: Vin Lam <>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:10:40 +1100
On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 05:15:54AM +0000, Tim Shawcross wrote:
> Thanks to all those who have helped me with my previous bird id requests.
>
> Over the last week I've shot some more photos of birds whose idenities I
> haven't been able to nail down at all, or I'm not 100% of:
>
> 1.  I took a couple of this one in Toolangi state forest.  The shots were
> no good ( all out of focus) but you can see enough of the bird to maybe id
> it - it has a distinctive blue/black head and white breast.  I couldn't
> find it in my book:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/saxtim/image/40113395

My guess is Satin Flycatcher.

> 2.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/saxtim/image/40113394
> http://www.pbase.com/saxtim/image/40113393

Not quite sure right now with this, I dont have any books with me.
Possibly an immature Brown Thornbill?

> 3. Brown thornbill? (shot at kinglake NP)
>
> http://www.pbase.com/saxtim/image/40113392
Sure its not a Long-billed Scrub-wren? Bill looks a little
too long for a Brown Thornbill.

> 4.Juv collared sparrow-hawk? (shot at birrarung park, melb on yarra river)
>
> http://www.pbase.com/saxtim/image/40113386
>
> 5. Some type of cuckoo I belive:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/saxtim/image/40113384
Most likely a Fantailed. I have seen plenty of them at Birrarung.
I dont have a guide, so im not sure if its a Brush.

> 6. Olived-backed Oriole?
>
> http://www.pbase.com/saxtim/image/40113532

Correct.
--