birding-aus

Broome Bird Observatory

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Broome Bird Observatory
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:27:06 +0800
Hi all,

I just wanted to make a brief note about some of the more exciting
species I've seen here since becoming assitant warden about three
weeks ago.  Lately I (and others) have been seeing Red-rumped Swallows
over Roebuck Plains - at least two individuals (you can tell by tail
moult, and they've been seen together once).  They have been roosting
on one of the saltpans with a large flock of Tree Martins recently,
allowing some people views of them on the ground.  I'm gradually
preparing a BARC report for the sighting.

Other great sightings are flocks of 50+ Yellow Wagtails on the plains;
large flocks of Yellow Chats in the salt marshes (although they're
only getting started at this time of year, it's going to be a bumper
chat year from the looks of it); and a glorious occasion where we were
picking the Red-necked Stints out of the flock of Broad-billed
Sandpipers (2 stints, 11 sandpipers).  Getting to hold a Broad-billed
Sandpiper with the Australian Wader Study Group expedition has also
been a highlight.

Birds others have seen but I've missed to this point are: Pin-tailed
Snipe at Taylor's Lagoon (mist netted, so a definite record),
Long-toed Stint and Pectoral Sandpiper at the same place; Hooded Robin
and Banded Honeyeater at the BBO bird baths, and 2 Asian Dowitchers on
the Bay.

Plus great looks at many other more common birds.

A great start to what should be a great year.

Regards,
Chris - Broome