birding-aus

Something for bird-photographers to note

Subject: Something for bird-photographers to note
From: Craig Williams <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:30:48 +1100
Hoy Mick,

We should compare cameras!

I'm interested in any stories about the genealogy of film and
photography policies in NSW and elswhere when it comes to national
parks: are these policies imported from international contexts?  If so,
where and when and why?  Are they merely revenue raising concepts and
strategies for cash strapped governments?  If there's no cash in it at
all for commercial operators, entrepreneurial and/or passionate, then
why would governments perceive the need to institute policies of this
kind.  Is this the same thing as say fishing licences for ordinary folk,
which most punters believe to be a dodgy, mealy-mouthed, penny-pinching
way of exploiting the public?

As I said, very interesting topic under discussion and many different
wavelengths involved as well.  I hope that the images of flora, fauna
and natural landscapes that are being produced now - by yourself and
others - in the era of digital production give as many people as
possible immense pleasure, and maybe they'll help to educate and
persuade us to entertain more of a commitment to well-managed
conservation too.

And I'm dead keen on encouraging debate and critique of dubious policy
fashions that extract money out of ordinary people for their use of
national parks and reserves but do nothing to curb other activities that
have more destructive impacts.  Having said that, though, disturbance of
wildlife by people taking photographs (at particular places, times, and
in particular ways) is a global problem that needs attention. Sure, it
is one problem in a hierarchy of many.  But there's evidence to suggest
that strict application of these sorts of policies is sometimes directly
necessary to prevent harm - consider the specific state and territory
policies prescribing approach distances for marine mammals.  Were these
policies developed on a pecuniary whim, or were there incidents that
led, eventually, to policy action?  You'd also be familiar with various
stories about disturbances to breeding colonies of birds in various
places as a result of disturbance by photographers: that's why, in my
books, there's a strong case supporting principles - embodied in
actionable policy - that are intended to ensure national park briefs are
properly administered and sensitive organisms protected.

And the divergences in fees for commercial filming between states must
obviously be a pain for operators, though again all state policies, on
paper, appear to offer plenty of room for negotiation and waiving of
fees under certain circumstances.  Pity the annual licence in nsw say is
not transferable to other state jurisdictions.  Perhaps there's scope
for a national licence system for small scale photographers, but if that
means federal control of national parks ... I'm not so sure.
Nevertheless, this debate is coming!

cheers

Craig

>>> Michael Todd <> 02/21/05 10:33 PM >>>
Hello Craig,

I'll try not to get into a great big debate about this... I'm used to
feeling as though I'm on a different wavelength to many people on this
sort of thing, and if thats the case well so be it.

One point first- different states have different legislation so if you
visit other states you need a different license for each state. Sure, it

can be claimed as a tax deduction but I don't see why it should have to
be. My argument is less about the amount and more about the principle.

How many nature photographers would qualify as entrepeneurs? Most people

who take nature photographs do it because they love nature and wildlife.

There is no fast bucks. If they sell them they are usually rapt if they
can cover costs. Is this exploitation?

I think sometimes its easy to lose sight of the forest for the trees.
There are many other conservation issues that have a far greater impact
on wildlife than disturbance by nature-lovers.

Cheers

Mick

Michael Todd
Wildlifing