birding-aus

Pied Butcherbird mimicry

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Pied Butcherbird mimicry
From: "Robyn Howard" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:09:53 +1000
On Friday 18th, my friend and I went out to the Somerset Dam (northwest of
Brisbane), and stopped at a picnic spot for our morning "cuppa".    This is
a site where the birds would regularly be fed by the picnickers, and there
were a few magpies nearby as well as the whole butcherbird family.  One of
the sub-adult Pied Butcherbirds immediately perched on the corner of the
table, between us, and gave a glorious rendition of a MAGPIE song!   No
magpie could have done better!   We were absolutely astounded, but he didn't
get "paid" for his entertainment.

Robyn