birding-aus

Sea watch from Maroubra (Sydney, NSW) - 13th Febraury 2005

To: <>
Subject: Sea watch from Maroubra (Sydney, NSW) - 13th Febraury 2005
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:33:37 +1100

David Koffel and I spent a few hours (about 3-6:30 pm) yesterday afternoon (13th February 2005) sea watching from Magic Pt, Maroubra (about 10km south of the Sydney CBD).

The afternoon produced mainly light to moderate southerly sea breezes which was good enough to bring lots of birds close to shore (most birds seen where within 1 km from the shore) and with good afternoon light, good views were obtained of all species present.

Unlike my last two sea watches the past couple of months, there was not even one Streaked Shearwater to be seen but had fairly good views of at least one LONG-TAILED JAEGER. A good number of Pomarine Jaegers were also present with about 60 seen during 4:30-6:30 pm. I reckon If I stayed a little longer, I would have expected to see well over a 100 by the rate they seemed to be appearing between 6 -6:30 pm. I was also amazed to see one Jaeger soar very high (at least a few hundred feet in the air and just visible through the scope) like what a Peregrine would do. Has anybody seen a Jaeger do this before?

The species and minimum numbers seen yesterday were as follows:

Fairy Penguin (heard calling below Magic Pt)

Wedge-tailed Shearwater (1,500)

Short-tailed Shearwater (4)

Fluttering Shearwater (33)

Australasian Gannet (25)