birding-aus

amphipods

To: "Wim Vader" <>, <>
Subject: amphipods
From: "Judy Philip" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:23:03 +1030
Wim wrote:
#Amphipods on the Birding-aus list; that is of course a
#chance i can not
#pass over

Wim, if only your amphipods (or even those isopods which you mention) had a
common/popular name!  We could probably get much more involved.

I suspect that most of us would be really pleased to know more about these
amphipod critters of our region, where they occur, and what they look like.
Could we see them or are these Crustacea (that's what the Web seems to say
they are!) too tiny?  What should we be looking out for?  As much of our
groundwater comes to the surface at very high temperatures, would amphipods
be present there?

Incidentally, are there any fossil amphipods or are they never preserved (or
not yet found)?

Just to get back on topic - do birds eat amphipods!

Regards,

Judy