birding-aus

RE: Seeking QLD, NSW bird locality info

To: J B <>
Subject: RE: Seeking QLD, NSW bird locality info
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:01:48 +1100
Hi John

(and other Birding-Aus readers - this might save John from dozens of similar responses!)

We've recently had a thread on this mailing list about releasing nesting locations and precise details of records of threatened species. Whilst none of your target species is (as far as I know) on any list of threatened or vulnerable species, even for specific regions, many people would be reluctant to pass on information for several reasons:

You've identified yourself only as "John B"

You are using a Yahoo webmail address, so it's impossible to verify your identity

You haven't given us the name of the institution where you are doing your research

You haven't given much information about your level of study (POst-doc? PhD? Masters? College occasional paper?)

etc

I'd be very reluctant to pass on nesting info or anything else without some proper contact details - yes, I know you'd need to use webmail while you are travelling, but I think it's important for researchers to establish their bona fides.

Sorry to appear so negative about this - but we've been through some interesting cases before, including an American researcher who was killing Bowerbirds as part of a study that intended no positive outcomes for the species, or even for birds in general. I think it is good practice to establish more clearly who you are, and where you are from, and then perhaps by private email give a little detail about your research, before people start offering precise local information, or invitations to join a banding project.

Best of luck with your research, and I hope you enjoy your visit - we'll look forward to hearing some more details in due course, and perhaps some of the outcomes of your study!

Cheers

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia