birding-aus

White Rock, Chichester SF, 21-24 Jan

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: White Rock, Chichester SF, 21-24 Jan
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:24:54 +1100
Hello all,

Spent last weekend camping with family at the White Rock Camping Area on the Allyn River in Chichester SF. For the out-of-towners this is approximately 60 km NW of Newcastle in central coastal NSW.

It was very dry up there until midday on Sunday when there was a few hours of torrential rain causing the Allyn River to run a banker that afternoon making for interesting photographic conditions.

Birds were OK although I missed a few things that I was hoping to see. Highlights would have been: Russet-tailed Thrush (3 birds at one time). No Bassian Thrushes seen or heard was a surprise however.
Sooty Owl- heard on Saturday night only.
Wompoo Pigeon- seen twice. No calling.
White-headed Pigeon, Topknot Pigeon, Brown Cuckoo-dove, Wonga Pigeon
Regent Bowerbird- a few around but greatly out-numbered by the Satin Bowerbirds
Green Catbird
Logrunner
Grey Goshawk (2)
Aust. Brush-turkey
Large-billed Scrubwren
Spectacled Monarch
Azure Kingfisher

Birds missing included Paradise Riflebird and Noisy Pitta. After the rain on Sunday Red-eyed Tree-frogs (Litoria chloris) and Fletchers Frogs (Lechriodus fletcheri) came out in force as well as the gorgeous crayfish, Euastacus spinifer (I think I got the scientific name right).

Also, to add to the discussion on cuckoos, there were Channel-billed Cuckoos flying around yesterday at Toronto.

Cheers,
Mick

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature www.wildlifing.com (in workshop) Toronto, NSW, Australia (02) 49591837