birding-aus

Newcastle Area part 2

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Newcastle Area part 2
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:17:50 +1100
Hi again

Sunday dawned not looking very promising weather wise but off we went
anyway. Up to Chichester Dam north of Dungog where a month ago there had
been lots of bird activity including our next target bird of Regent
Bowerbird. Of course all was quiet and the only bird of note was an Emerald
Dove.

Our next stop was Jerusalem Creek just inside the southern end of the
Barrington Tops National Park. As we arrived it started to pour with rain
but as we were there why not walk in anyway ? Towards the end of our walk it
was looking like we should have stayed in the car as although the rain had
eased the leeches were out in force and the birds were not ! Just when I
said I think we will turn around and head back we came across a pair of
Logrunners which were very close and stayed around long enough to give us
good views. Number 5 down just as I was starting to feel a bit despondent. I
now know how professional guides feel when they can't find birds and then
the exhilaration of coming across the bird. I have only missed seeing
Paradise Riflebird on one occasion here and I was determined not to make it
twice. The return walk did not disappoint. Firstly we saw two Green Catbirds
and then I caught sight of a female/immature male Paradise Riflebird high in
the canopy. I then lost sight of it but Simon picked it up and he and Maiike
were able to get extended views of it perched on a branch, number 6 down !
Another nice sighting here was a Pale Yellow Robin , another less common
bird towards the southern edge of its range. Black-faced and Spectacled
Monarchs were also present.

We continued around to Frying Pan Creek, Main Creek and back home for lunch.

With severe thunder storms predicted for Sydney and the Hunter area in the
afternoon, we opted to stay inside and watch bird videos for the afternoon.
I managed to show Simon several of his special birds on video's that I had
taken in the past. Not quite the same thing , though the Powerful Owl and
Lewin's Rail were pretty good !

As it turned out the storms mostly missed the Hunter and we could have gone
back to finish our search from Saturday and visit Ash Island but it was not
to be . In hindsight a half day rest day was the right thing to do as we had
a huge day ahead of us on the Monday.

To be continued

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW