birding-aus

RE: Swarovski vs Leica V Pentax

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RE: Swarovski vs Leica V Pentax
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:36:24 +1100
I wholeheartedly agree David Adams on Pentax. I had a pair of 8x40 PCFs which gave sterling performance, until I took them for a swim in Tuggerah Lake. I now have a pair of Pentax 8x40 PCF WP (waterproof - I wont try the swimming trick twice with non WP) and have just bought a pair of Pentax 8x33 DCF WP, which are the best semi-compacts I have eve come across. The Pentax binos also have the benefit of long eye relief, which allows me to keep my glasses on while birding.

I have the disadvantage that many birders have, in that I am not as young as I used to be, and i don't try and kid myself that my eyes are not as acute as they used to be. I have tried out Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, et al and I certainly can't pick up sufficient difference between them and Pentax to warrant me paying the difference.

Cheers

Carl Clifford