birding-aus

Freckled Duck on Roebuck Bay

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Freckled Duck on Roebuck Bay
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:38:07 +1100
Hi Broome-o-files

The last few days there have been unusually high numbers of ducks on the shores of Roebuck Bay. Yesterday, it was more than 100 Hardheads, 20 Pacific Black Ducks and 1 Pink-eared Duck, all close to our observation platform. Today it was 10 Hardheads, more than 100 Plumed Whistling Ducks and 1 Freckled Duck.

The presence of the Freckled Duck is probably most significant as the only official reports on these birds that we have in this region are of two at Taylors Lagoon last year and two at lake Eda in 1987. Our Broome Bird Observatory listing mentions that these birds were present in "historical records" only.

Yesterday, we also had two flocks of 5 or 6 Lesser Frigatebirds soaring around the bay, which is also a little unusual and might indicate a bit of "weather" out in the islands region.

Of course, as I type, there are tens of thousands of the usual suspects preening, parading and generally taking it easy along the shoreline as they await the ebb of the tide. This, of course, means that I must leave you, grab my scope and walk down the path to the bay. . . . .

Cheers
Ricki
Broome WA