birding-aus

Summer in central west NSW

To: <>, <>
Subject: Summer in central west NSW
From: "Robert Gosford" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:09:56 +1100
I can echo some of David's observations from the south coast of NSW at Jervis Bay -

- two juvenile Collared Sparrowhawks appear to have been abandoned post-fledge by their parents in the heavily-wooded gully next to our house that runs down to the beach - they have been in CSh boot camp for the past fdew weeks and the changes in their flight, pursuit and kill eficiencies are manifest and a joy to watch - though like Dave's Peregrines their mewling calls are incessant and inacapable of being ignored. We have seen one kill and several meals - usually with the successful bird silent but busy on a dead horizontal branch or on the ground and the unsuccessful sibling sitting nearby keening excitedly. 10 days ago they were busy chasing Eastern Spine-bills and Restless Flycatchers or tailchasing each other through the dense hakea, banksia and eucalypt scrub behind the house - occasionaly erupting into the clear air over our heads - now they are more confident flyers, chasers and killers - they range through the 15 ha. or so of the gully area at all heights - I am surprised how much time they spend near to and on the ground and at how easily and quickly they weave their way - especially in pursuit mode - through all layers of the forest ...

- I have also seen increasingly large MFFs around - the usual Variegated Wren, Red-browed finch, Brown thornbill and White-Browed scrub wren mixes are back moving through the yard and gully on a regular basis - they also do a good job keeping the bugs off the veges.

The fruit on the pittosporum outside the window is slowly turning yellow and I'm expecting to see thornbills and silvereyes picking out the seeds and flesh soon(ish).

On late nesting - last weekend we found a Little Wattlebird's nest with two eggs in it - perhaps a month or so late - maybe a re-nesting - what was surprising was that the nest was no more than a meter from a well-used track and in a tree-hollow in a live tree (not a dead tree stump at about chest height as seen last year), again about 1.5m off the ground. I'll keep an eye on how long the eggs last before some keen tourist samples them ... and whether she will re-lay ... again?

Robert