birding-aus

A good afternoon at Werribee Treatment Plant

To: "'Dave Torr'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>, "'VicBirdline'" <>
Subject: A good afternoon at Werribee Treatment Plant
From: "John Barkla" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:21:30 +1100
To add to David Torr's sightings reported on Saturday, we (John & Gabrielle
Barkla & Fred Smith) also had a marvellous day on Sunday with a visiting
British photographer (John Drakeley) seeing (and John D mostly getting
photos of):
1 Black Falcon and an Australian Hobby along the Werribee River and a Black
Kite on Farm Road;
2 Baillon's Crakes, 2 Spotless Crakes, 6 Australian Spotted Crakes and a
Buff-banded Rail in the Flag Reed bed on Little River;
9 Australian Spotted Crakes in a Conservation Ponds and 3 others at other
spots, making a total of 18 for the day;
The Ruff (whose leg colour is changing and is now much more orange than
previously - if, as seems likely, it is the same bird), a Pectoral Sandpiper
and a Wood Sandpiper in the Conservation Ponds;
20 Black-tailed Godwits in the Borrow Pit on 180 S Road;
Another Wood Sandpiper in the T Section Lagoons;
Little Pied, Little Black and Pied Cormorants and Darters nesting;
Crested Pigeons nesting on Farm Road (seen previously by Fred Smith and
Alison Street - the first breeding record that I am aware of for the WTP)
3 Brolgas at the T Section Lagoons; and
14 Cape Barren Geese at Austin Road, in addition to those at Paradise Road.

The Red-necked Avocet numbers are much reduced from the many hundreds a few
months ago and the Banded Stilts have all gone from the WTP (they are still
in reduced numbers at both Avalon and Altona saltworks).

We finished with 107 species for the day.

John Barkla