birding-aus

NSW Central Coast Birding - 15th Jan 05

To: <>
Subject: NSW Central Coast Birding - 15th Jan 05
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:52:05 +1100

I spent yesterday morning and a bit in the early afternoon (15/1/05) wondering around a few areas in the NSW Central Coast (60 to 100km north of Sydney CBD). Places visited during this time included:

MATCHAM AREA – pretty much the usual but interesting rainforest/forest birds seen here including Brush Turkeys, Wonga Pigeons, Brown Cuckoo-doves,  many Yellow-throated and some Large-billed Scrubwrens, Leaden Flycatchers, Black-faced Monarchs, Rufous Fantails, Scarlet Honeyeaters, Green Catbirds, Regent and Satin Bowerbirds and heard Superb Lyrebirds.

NORAH HEAD – spent an hour or so sea-watching from Norah Head hoping that Cyclone Kerry may have pushed down the coast some tropical seabirds. Nothing unusual seen here but saw 300 or more Wedge-tailed and 50 or so Short-tailed Shearwaters, an Australasian Gannet, 2-3 Pomarine Jaegers, an Australasian Gannet, 50 plus Common Terns etc. There were also lots of both Dollarbirds (very numerous in the central coast and there was quite a few young birds as well) and White-breasted Woodswallows and a Pied Butcherbird on powerlines.

I also checked the reef at Soldiers Pt and saw 6 Pacific Golden Plovers, c66 Red-necked Stints, c25 Curlew Sandpipers, 5 Grey-tailed Tattlers, 24 Ruddy Turnstone, a Whimbrel and 2 Pied Oystercatchers. Also with the waders were at least 125 Little Terns (of which at least 20 were in breeding plumage).

MUNMORAH SRA – I looked briefly on the edge of this state recreation area near Lake Munmorah and saw a flock of at least 30 White-throated Needletails with a few Welcome Swallows in with them. A few of the Needletails flew at about tree top level but most were quite high and not visible without binoculars. Also in the heath were I was watching the Needletails was a Bar-shouldered Dove, Dolarbirds and both White-cheeked and New Holland Honeyeaters.

On my way back home I had a quick look at Tuggerah Lake in Toukley. I did not see much in the lake but there was a Striped Honeyeater hoping on the ground in front of my car.

Edwin Vella