birding-aus

Tassie Birding

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Tassie Birding
From: "David Siems" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:58:14 +1100

Hi Netters,

               New Year was taken at my sister Pauline’s property at Lapoinya, south of Wynyard. During the day we had Yellow-throated and Black-headed Honeyeaters at the bird bath, while four Strong-billed Honeyeaters were in the tree nearby.

               Also at the bird bath were Silver-eyes, Grey-shrike Thrush, Superb Wren with Grey Goshawk (white morph) and Swamp Harrier overhead.

               As night darkened about 10pm we had big moths attracted to the windows and watched as a Boobook Owl would swoop in and with a slight bang on the glass would take them off and fly to a perch for a feed.  Some nights there is also a Barn Owl doing the same only with a bigger noise on the glass. Pauline has placed a pole in the garden and we will attach a light to the top and hopefully the owls will feed on the moths there instead of the windows.

               An enjoyable night with a Boobook Owl for a New Year bird.

All the Best

David Siems

Devonport

Tasmania