birding-aus

Re: Sanderlings in Qld - and "facts"

To: "Vin Lam" <>
Subject: Re: Sanderlings in Qld - and "facts"
From: "John McAllister" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:40:00 +0200
Hi there

A chirp from South Africa if I may.  The major problem I find is that once
something gets into the literature it becomes an everlasting truth.  Here in
South Africa Rudd's and Botha's Larks, for example, are supposed to choose
short, heavily grazed grassland  as their habitat.  Likewise Rudd's engages
in an aerial display for UP TO 20 minutes according to the literature.  I
have had, and shown many visiting birders,  both species in waist high, very
well-managed grasslands and Rudd's Lark here is regularly up for OVER 90
minutes.  In spite of having reported this many times the text in the Field
Guides and Scientific literature remains unchanged and the majority of
birders accept these statements as gospel.

As a PHD friend of mine often says - the acronym often stands for "piled
higher and deeper" :-)

Cheers

John McAllister
Wakkerstroom