birding-aus

2004 Retrospective and looking forward to 2005

To: "Stuart Cooney" <>
Subject: 2004 Retrospective and looking forward to 2005
From: "Gary Wright" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:55:11 +1030
Stuart

This is in relation to your pending Hooded Parrot research.  In June/July last year I walked for three weeks in Arnhem land in an area between Manyallaluk Aboriginal community and the Katherine River.  For the first twenty days of the walk I saw a pair of Hooded Parrots.  We drove in approx. 20 - 30 kms and this sighting was up Birdie Creek from there in the direction away from Katherine.

On the 21st day we saw a flock of approx 40 birds, not that far from the original spot on the drive back to Manyallaluk community.  In between not a one, despite walking through large areas of apparently suitable habitat.  Open woodland wiht many termite mounds with hooded parrot size hollows dug in them.  This puzzled me the whole walk.  So many hollows but no birds.

I am not up on hooded parrots and someone may know the answer to this, but I thought it may be of interest for your research.  The area we walked through has been unihabited for 60 years, has no stock except water buffalo (many) and scrub cattle or feral cattle in low numbers.  There is burning.

Gary Wright