birding-aus

Thrush and Corvids at Dorrigo NP

Subject: Thrush and Corvids at Dorrigo NP
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:43:51 +1100
Just before new years stopped overnight at Dorrigo on the way back from my parents place at Murwillumbah (northern NSW). Was hoping to track down Noisy Pitta (which along with Spectacled Monarch were the only regular species I didn't pick up on my annual pilgramage north) with no luck but did see the usual rainforest species. A couple of species caused me to think and I would like some input from local birds.

Thrush.
Managed to find a thrush nest right near the Dorrigo Mountain road at about 760 metres. Watched both birds fly to the nest and could see no white in the tail, though the bird that was brooding in the morning (the female?) had a very worn tail. I suspected these birds were making a high-pitched 'peeeet' call but wasn't 100% certain. About 100m easrt of these birds I came across another bird on the track that I managed to get great views of, including a brief flush exposing the tail sides. This seemed to have paler (but not white) edges to the tail. This bird definitely gave the call described above. The question is what species is this. My assumption is Bassian, as the bird is at a reasonable elevation (I had just read the extensive notes by Lloyd Nielsen on Thrush in Lamington NP as I saw a Russet-tailed at Binna Burra but did not flush it), the tail sides were definitely not white like the birds I saw at Brisbane Forest Park in January this year and Pizzey and Knight lists the call above only for the Bassian. Any thoughts on this decision.

Corvids.
There semmed to be at least two corvids at Dorrigo. Chris Chafer's report from earlier this year said both Forest Raven and Torresian Crow were present at Dorrigo NP which helps. I thought the latter species may have only been in the lower elevations around Coffs, but I thought I heard this species. There was also a Raven which I initially thought were Forest but I heard one "aaaargh" call though this was not typical of Australian Ravens around Sydney. I went to Ebor Falls where Forest Ravens were calling (along with breeding Flame Robins and a female Satin Flycatcher) but unfortunately on returning to Dorrigo no more Ravens called. My question is Australian Raven likely at Dorrigo? I don't think I recorded them there, but I would like to see the possibility of having three corvid species in one area.

Apart from that spent a few days over NY with the outlaws at Hawks Nest. Nothing spectacular but a few flocks of Musk Lorikeets feeding in flowering Eucalyptus and a couple of groups of White-cheeked HE.

Cheers,
Peter