birding-aus

Malaysian bird names

To: "Dam Lamb" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Malaysian bird names
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:21:01 +1030
Hi Russ

I've checked my database which is based on HBW as well as Mackinnon & Phillips: A  field guide to the birds of Borneo, Sumatra, Java & Bali (which I used extensively when in Malaysia), and have come up with the following:

oriental turtle dove = oriental turtle dove, Streptopelia orientalis
southern pied hornbill = Oriental Pied Hornbill Anthracoceros albirostris
Phillipines glossy starling = Asian Glossy Starling Aplonis panayensis
little heron = Striated Heron Butorides striatus (also known as little green backed, or green backed, or little green, to make it even more confusing)
peaceful dove  = peaceful dove Geopelia placida
slaty banded rail  probably slaty breasted
cuckoo-dove (? Barred or Little Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia ??) there's quite a few species. which one?
buff-bellied flowerpecker (? orange-bellied Flowerpecker, Dicaecum trigonostigma) don't know about that interpretation
house swift = House Swift Apus nipalensis subfurcatus (recent split from the house swift complex)
chestnut winged woodpecker can't find reference to chestnut, so crimson is probably the one
crested firetail = Crested Fireback Lophura ignita

Hope this helps

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia