birding-aus

Capertee Valley highlights

Subject: Capertee Valley highlights
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:43:11 +1100
There's good birding to be had in the Capertee Valley (NSW) at the moment. Highlights on Wednesday this week included:

-Plum-headed Finches and Painted Honeyeaters very easy to observe at Coco Creek.

-Turquoise Parrots at a few locations including two resplendent males on my own land.

-The Mugga Ironbarks are flowering well and Regent Honeyeaters are still in the valley with at least one pair with young in a nest and several other juveniles around. On Wednesday-Thursday this week I saw a total of nine individuals, five of them this year's young.

-Large numbers of Little Lorikeets. There are also a few Musk Lorikeets around where there is flowering Mugga, especially in the northern end of the valley.

-Still quite a few White-browed Woodswallows around - some with fledgelings, and a new species for my property being a pair of Masked Woodswallows.

-Also on my land was a very young Pallid Cuckoo being fed by a Yellow-tufted Honeyeater. The cuckoo was at the stage when its plumage is strikingly variegated black and white. This stage is described by Pizzey as "grotesque" but I thought it was quite beautiful!

-Red-browed Treecreepers, and a pair of Leaden Flycatchers on a nest near Glen Davis.

-White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike on a nest in the middle of the Glen Davis camping ground.

-Many birds at the cottage where I stay (near Glen Alice) including Hooded Robin, Chestnut-rumped Heathwren and Speckled Warbler. Also nesting Restless Flycatchers and Dusky Woodswallows in a big tree overhanging the house.

Most of the other usual birds were around including Little Eagle, Black-chinned and Striped Honeyeater, Rainbow Bee-eaters, White-winged Trillers, and a Jacky Winter with an ever-so-cute just-fledged youngster!

Have a great Christmas and New Year everyone.

Cheers

Carol

--
Carol Probets
PO Box 330

Phone (02) 4782 1831
International phone +61-2-4782 1831
Email:

Guided birding in the Blue Mountains and Capertee Valley