birding-aus

Little Terns

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Little Terns
From: Chris Brandis <>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:41:00 +1100
Hi all
Our local volunteer found that the 10 active Little Tern nests at Windang, 100 Km S of Sydney, were all predated by a fox. Cages had been put around the nests to stop the Silver Gulls, 2 fences and signs put up to stop the people and their dogs, but 2 days before the first chicks were due, disaster. Last year was the first time in 40 years they had bred here but a hail storm killed/stopped the 20 or so breeding pairs when many young were about to fledge. Before JH took away our guns we would have been down their shooting the foxes but hysteria won the day.
Not so cheery   Chris