birding-aus

black falcon

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: black falcon
From: "Gary Wright" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:51:15 +1030
19/12/04  I saw a black falcon here at Wilmington SA, near Pt Augusta this morning.  I have lived here seven years and  haven't seen one here before, but I think I probably have missed them.  The only reason I saw this one was Phillip Maher's comment to notice the quick, flickering wingbeats.  These were very obvious and were what drew my attention to the bird.  Other things which stood out were very pointed wings, and pointed elbows of wings and long tail.  the bird also had slight black marks at end of underside of wings.

Wally Klau a local birdo has seen them here before so I suspect I will see them more often now I have my eye in.  Black falcon was a bird that I saw for the first time on a trip with Philip Maher and it had been a bird that I should have seen, but hadn't.  It may well be that I had seen quite a few adn just didn't know it.

Gary