birding-aus

RFI: Night Herons

Subject: RFI: Night Herons
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:39:43 +1000
On the first (I think) episode of 'Nature of Australia' (re-running on ABC TV), lots of Rufous Night Herons appeared, taking baby turtles from coral beaches. The commentator referred to the birds by this name ('Rufous') - and I see in my books that it is another name for Nankeen Night Herons. I've seen Nankeen Night Herons in southern Qld, roosting in trees by day. So the angle-of-view, from slightly below, was different, compared with the film's view, from slightly above, at dawn or dusk. Nevertheless, the birds on the TV did seem to be ?smaller and much more rufous than the exquisite, pale birds I've seen here in real life.
        Are there subspecies... or can anyone make other comment on this?

Thanks!