birding-aus

Coxen's fig parrot..it will show up.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Coxen's fig parrot..it will show up.
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:55:26 +1000
Greetings,

Further to Del's information about food sources of schizophrenically named
little parrots in north Queensland I would add:-
Glochidion spp ( Buttonwood) as a very important food source on the coast
and a significant one on the Atherton Tablelands
Polyscius spp ( Basswood, Cellerywood) Both the fruit and the newly opening
leaf buds
Elaeocarpus angustifolius & E. foveolatus (Quandong) They have been observed
chewing on the flesh of the fruits of these species and visiting the flowers
of  Elaeocarpus angustifolius

I also suspect that they feed on insects in eucalypts but am not certain. It
looks like a gleaning behaviour but they are too far away for me to see any
insects even through a scope.

Del, have you observed them taking Eucalypt leaves into their nesting
hollows?

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours