birding-aus

A. Grebes - the book !

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: A. Grebes - the book !
From: Barry McLean <>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 04 07:15:55 +1100
>Update!  Just back from checking the dam after two days of occasional
>thunderstorms and a total of about 25mm rain.  No ducks seen but the
>grebes' second  nest has been abandoned and they have almost completed a
>third!  This one is in shallow water close to the bank and attached to a
>patch of a strong, erect grass growing from the bottom. Nest one has now
>let go of the float and disappeared below the surface, nest two is opened
>up (egg/s gone) and is sinking, nest three won't sink but foxes could
>easily walk out to it!  It may be that we might never see any young.
>
>Must send this now before it turns into a book!  Sorry

Yesterday morning (Fri), after another stormy night, nest three was almost
submerged by the rise in the water level and the grebes were gone.  They were
still not there in the evening.

Sat morning they were back again - am not sure that they are working on a nest
yet but I think that a fourth one has been started.

Will try to resist further postings unless/until they are finally successful

Bye

         Barry & Roberta McLean
         03 57981213
         0418 584433