birding-aus

Needletails but no scrub-birds

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Needletails but no scrub-birds
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:56:33 +1000
Sadly todays Rufous Scrub-Bird surveys at Green Mountain NP
(O'reillys) were cancelled due to the enormous amounts of rain that
continue to fall in SEQld.  Wednesday of next week may be a
replacement date for those interested.  I was dissapointed obviously,
however, the drive up and back yielded some great sightings.

At about 5:30am in Mt Gravatt, Brisbane, I saw ~5 White-throated
Needletails from the car.  Saw them well enough to see that they had
huge wings and square tails but no better since I was doing 110kph at
the time.  Then at Ormeau (Gold Coast), another group of around 5
needletails.  These are my first sightings of White-throated
Needletails so I'm pretty chuffed about that.

At O'reillys I saw most of the birds I would have expected on a
miserable rainy day, including a particularly great sighting of an
Eastern Whipbird practically standing on my shoes to call its
whipcrack at me.  The first time I've ever seen one that was
completely comfortable to forage around my feet knowing I was there.

Also saw a Yellow-throated Scrub-wren feeding young in a nest.

For those interested, I saw Fleay's Barred frogs with spawn in a small
pond.  This was my first ever sighting of this vulnerable species.
Also saw a particularly miserable Major's Skink trying to get some sun
but only getting rain.

Heard one call I'm not familiar with: a loud decending wail followed
by a short note.  Sounded maybe like a whistler but not a call I've
heard them make before.

Also, saw a quail fly past at one point, but absolutely unidentifiable
from the flash I saw.

Nothing else out of the ordinary on the drive home except for one
Black-necked Stork at Jimboomba.  64 birds for the day.

Regards,
Chris

Full list for trip Mt Gravatt - O'reillys - Beaudesert - Brisbane
(birds listed in no particular order):
Australian Brush Turkey
Wood Duck
Black Duck