birding-aus

Dog swimming area, Long Reef

Subject: Dog swimming area, Long Reef
From: Andy Burton <>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:03:01 +1100

Many of you will know of the Long  Reef  Aquatic  Reserve on Sydney's northern beaches  and what a  wonderful birding area it can be. It  holds many waders throughout the year and of course migrants such as Terns , Double-banded Plovers, Red-necked Stints, Whimbrels,  and currently a rare Grey Plover.

Following a petition from 200 dog owners, the Administrator of Warringah Council  has signalled his intention to allow the swimming of dogs on a beach adjoining the reserve. This activity would seem to be totally inappropriate at this site, and many local dog owners already ignore the signs to keep dogs away from the reserve. It is not unusual to see birds being chased and stressed by dogs.. There are plenty of other beaches in the area, if dogs must swim, and most are beaches with few if any waders.

The Administrator is apparently due to make his decision this Friday and if you disagree with this policy, as I do, then we only have a few days in which to propose a counter view. Can we get 200  voices to counter the dog lobby?

Sydney is rapidly losing habitat as  50 000  migrants each year make their home in this city and we  cannot afford to have even more habitat compromised. Wader habitat is a scarce commodity in Sydney.

Cathy Hemery has asked me to help spread the word  and for your information her letter to the Administrator is shown below.

I  hope you can help..

Regards, Andy

Mrs Catherine Hemery
152 Garden Street
North Narrabeen
NSW  2101
07/12/04

Mr. Dick Perrson
The Administrator
Warringah Council

RE:  Trial Dog Swimming area at Long Reef Beach

Dear Sir,

I am writing on behalf of all of the Fishcare Volunteers at Long Reef Aquatic Reserve to strongly oppose the proposed dog swimming trial at Long Reef Beach. Our volunteer group has been active at Long Reef Aquatic Reserve for the past two years and recently assisted in winning an award for Warringah Council in the Clean Beaches Challenge.   Our role is to inform residents and visitors to the site of the unique ecological value and sensitivity of Long Reef.  As well as provide guided walks, our members regularly walk the platform and adjoining beaches, collecting rubbish and speaking to people who continue to walk their dogs unleashed around the foreshores away from the designated dog exercise area.

Long Reef  is not only significant for its incredible marine invertebrate biodiversity, but also provides a valuable  refuge for wading birds who arrive from New Zealand, Siberia and Japan to rest and feed at Long Reef Aquatic Reserve and the adjoining Dee Why Lagoon area. Such migrants include the Double-banded Plover, Ruddy Turnstone, a variety of Terms, and the Red-necked Stint. In addition, the area is also the habitat for the Sooty Oyster Catcher which is a bird listed under the NSW Threatened Species Act, Schedule 2.

      It is utterly inappropriate and ecologically insensitive to declare this area as a potential swimming area for unleashed dogs.  From the observations of our volunteers over the past two years, Council Rangers would not have the resources or time to effectively police this trial, and prevent the access and unsupervised behaviour of the large amount of dogs that this trial would attract.  There must be another beach  in Warringah where dogs can be allowed to swim, which does not simultaneously threaten the ecological diversity of what is essentially a highly sensitive and important environmental area.

  We would ask you to reconsider your decision, and consult more fully with the community before proceeding on an action that would seriously undermine and jeopardise all of the hard work our volunteers have put in during the past two years.

Yours Sincerely,

Catherine Hemery
On behalf of Fishcare Long Reef

--