birding-aus

Wilson's Prom

Subject: Wilson's Prom
From: "Frank Rheindt" <>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:55:03 +0100
Dear all,

Yesterday I did some light Sunday birding in the Wilson's Prom NP while
showing the place to a non-birding visitor of mine. I will doubtless have to
get up too early and spend too much time chasing "little brown jobs".
Nonetheless I saw a couple of pleasant surprises that I wouldn't have
expected on a mellow stroll around the main trails, most notably Gang-gang
Cockatoo, Olive Whistler and a wealth of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos, as
well as fleeting glimpses of a flushed and therefore non-countable Beatiful
Firetail... Species list see below. Needless to say, the park was full of
visitors.

I want to thank Anthea, David, Steve, Dave, Laurie, Rohan, Martin, Peter and
Tim for their replies to my query and for providing extremely useful
information about Wilson's Prom birds and a handful of other species around
Melbourne.

Happy birding,

Frank
(Melbourne)

4-5 December 04: Wilson?s Promontory NP

Emu, Chestnut Teal, Austr. White + Straw-necked Ibis, Masked Lapwing, Silver
Gull, Pacific Gull, Brown Goshawk (1,0), Nankeen Kestrel, Yellow-tailed
Black-Cockatoo, Gang-gang Cockatoo (Callocephalon fimbriatum), Galah,
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Crimson Rosella, Laughing Kookaburra,
White-throated Treecreeper, Superb Fairywren, White-browed Scrubwren, Brown
Thornbill, Brush Wattlebird, Yellow-faced + New Holland + Crescent
Honeyeater, Eastern Spinebill, Grey Shrike-Thrush, Eastern Yellow Robin,
Olive Whistler (1), Golden Whistler, Grey Fantail, Magpie Lark, Austr.
Magpie, Grey Currawong, Pied Currawong, Forest Raven, Welcome Swallow, House
Sparrow, Silvereye, Blackbird, Common Mynah, Common Starling.