birding-aus

Painted Buttonquail, Melbourne

Subject: Painted Buttonquail, Melbourne
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:43:36 +1100

Hi Simon, There are quite a few records of Painted Button-quail from the Melbourne area, and they are seen fairly regularly along the Yarra (in season, i.e. ~ September to March in my experience) .  A couple of years ago I even found them breeding as far into the city as Kew.  Last year there was one briefly on my local patch in Viewbank, in remnant grassy woodland.  Further out, I used to see them quite often at Sugarloaf Dam, sometimes in quite grassy habitat as you describe, and find their platelets mainly under Exocarpos (Cherry Ballart) trees.  I haven't looked there recently.  They will use grassy habitats as long as there is suitable open forest close by.  Once I saw one on a suburban street in Blackburn (on the bitumen!), but that was probably a confused migrant (in March).  Cheers, Richard.

Sent by:

05/12/2004 08:42 PM

        cc:
        Subject:        [BIRDING-AUS] Painted Buttonquail, Melbourne

Auscetnetters,

Whilst birding this morning in Lysterfield Park, just south of Birdsland I
found a male Painted Buttonquail. It was initially calling and confusing me
as the habitat is not great. It is quite grassy - the recent rainfall has
promoted a lot of extra growth so there are no bare open areas with leaf
litter. I was wondering whether I was overlooking something else obvious and
just as I decided to move on flushed it virtually from my feet. It went to
cover and I flushed it again, getting reasonable on the deck views.

Simon Mustoe.