birding-aus

Ash Island near Newcastle, NSW - 4th December 2004

To: <>
Subject: Ash Island near Newcastle, NSW - 4th December 2004
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:57:22 +1100

David Mitford and myself met Dick Jenkins on Saturday morning (4th December 2004) on Ash Island (approx. 150 km north of Sydney CBD) with the aim of finding the Painted Snipe that have been seen during the past 2 weeks or so. It took 2 hours to find one of the pair, a female Painted Snipe with its characteristic tail bobbing up and down as it moved through the grass. After another half an hour or so after this bird disappeared in the grass, we decided to look at the swamp at another angle from the rainforest regeneration path (the one that has a sign saying something to the effect of “one day you will get sick of seeing Regent Bowerbirds along this trail”). We soon saw the pair (male and female) Painted Snipe at about 200 metres away through our scopes, where they again proved quite shy as they stood motionless on the edge of taller grass. We had a brief good view of the pair until they finally disappeared back into the taller grass. I have seen Painted Snipe a few occasions before and these 2 must have been the most elusive ones I’ve seen.

Other birds around this wetland included a White-necked Heron, Plumed and Cattle Egrets (the later in nice breeding plumage), a Swamp Harrier,  20 or so Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, both Pied Stilts and Masked Lapwing chicks with their parents, Horsfield’s Bronze-cuckoo, Channel-billed Cuckoos, Rufous Fantail (the only rainforest bird in the young rainforest regeneration path), Tawny Grassbirds and White-breasted Woodswallows. We did not have time to check our usual spot (along Wagtail way) on Ash Island as we needed to get back in Sydney by mid afternoon. On our way back home however we did see a Pacific Baza (a nice bird often seen while driving along the Sydney-Newcastle freeway) circling high over the freeway near Lenaghan.

Edwin Vella