birding-aus

Crested Pigeon

To: "'iandowling'" <>
Subject: Crested Pigeon
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:45:11 +1100
Hi Ian,

Here to the west of Sydney, Crested Pigeons are fairly common, but they have
done nothing to reduce the numbers of Spotted Turtle-Doves. I have had as
many as 50 Turtle-Doves in my garden at one time. If I put a handful of seed
on my feeder, it is immediately covered by a swarm of these birds. However
when the Crested Pigeons arrive, they all move aside and let the CPs eat.

It is difficult to work out how the Spotted Turtle-Doves are so successful,
they move aside to let all the other birds (CP, Rainbow Lorikeets, Corellas
etc) eat, seem such mild mannered little birds, yet there are more and more
each year. You would think that given their subservient nature they would
have died out years ago.

Regards - Mike Simpson, Penrith, NSW
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds