birding-aus

Rainbow lorikeets- do they sleep?

To: "" <>
Subject: Rainbow lorikeets- do they sleep?
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:03:46 +1100
My daughter lives in Blackburn (eastern suburb, Melbourne) near Furness
Park, where incidentally I photographed the first pair of Rainbows I
ever saw in Melbourne, back in 1975. They were very few in those days.

The park now supports swarms of RLs and a pair has gained entry to the
roof and wall space of my daughter's house via a loose tile. She swears
that the birds nest almost continuously and make a considerable racket,
screeching and chirping, at night, and that they keep it up all night
till dawn. They don't stop then either. The previous tenants (Indian
Common Mynahs) seem to have given the roof up as a bad job. We suspect
that some young birds may also have started to nest there too, in a
colony. It keeps getting noisier.

Eviction may be carried out shortly.
Anthea Fleming