birding-aus

Rainbow Lorikeets and late night shopping

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Rainbow Lorikeets and late night shopping
From: "Nevil Lazarus" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:25:52 +1100
Chatswood is a very busy suburban shopping area on Sydney's North Shore.

This evening I witnessed thousands of Rainbow Lorikeets flying around and
flock after flock coming into the trees with loud screetching, and chirping.
All of this in amongst the coffee drinkers and shoppers who were totally
oblivious of the activity in the skies and the trees.

The same phenomenon occurs at Manly every evening.

My question is why do these birds choose their roosts in such built up
areas, artificially lit and heavily populated?

Nevil Lazarus