birding-aus

Re: Ospreys

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: Ospreys
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:38:07 +1100
Gary Blond requested information on breeding Ospreys. I studied this species as a Master of Science project and a number of papers are in the pipeline.  A paper on diet is presently with the editor of Emu and papers on breeding biology and feeding ecology are being finalised.

To answer Gary's questions, Ospreys incubate their eggs for 36-39 days, the nestling period is between 52 and 76 days.  Fledglings remain with the parents for a few months after which some remain within a few kilometres of their natal area and others travel long distances.  A bird that I colour banded at Woodford Island, near Maclean, NSW was photographed by Neil Fifer at Narrabeen Lake, some 504  km to the S, 1 year 10 months and 21 days after banding.  Adults generally remain within their nesting territory but wander more than when nesting.

Regards

Greg