birding-aus

RFI Sharpies/starlings/blackbirds/thrushes/HEs in NSW

Subject: RFI Sharpies/starlings/blackbirds/thrushes/HEs in NSW
From: Phil Hansbro <>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:38:13 +1100
Hi all

I am looking to take faecal samples from Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, Starlings, Blackbirds, Thrushes and Honeyeaters as part of a University of Newcastle project and would like to enquire if anyone has high concentrations of these birds in their areas.

We will trap these birds by either using walk-in funnel traps (for Sharp-tailed Sandpipers) or mist nets (for all species) take a cloacal swab (takes 10 seconds) and then release the birds.

For the Sharpies we need an area where they are actively feeding preferably on the side of a mud edge.

For the other species we need areas where there are large numbers in areas with low bushes.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Phil.

Dr Phil Hansbro
Bacteriology Research Group Leader &
Lecturer in Microbiology
Discipline of Immunology & Microbiology
University of Newcastle &
Vaccine, Immunity/Infection, Viruses & Asthma
(VIVA), Hunter Medical Research Institute
Ph: +61 2 4923 6819
Fax: +61 2 4923 6814
Email: