birding-aus

Barren Grounds trip report

Subject: Barren Grounds trip report
From: "Nicholas Talbot" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:35:58 +1100
Hi,
I did the 8 kilometre loop walk at Barren Grounds on the 9th of November. It had been raining heavily before I set out but held off for most of the morning although the cloud was very low. The highlights of the walk were two ticks for me - the Eastern Bristlebird and the Pilotbird. One Eastern Bristlebird presented itself after only a few hundred metres. It was climbing a fairly tall bush and calling loudly and kept doing so even when I approached within a few metres. I saw one other during the walk and heard many more. I've had fleeting glimpses of Pilotbirds several times before but nothing tickable. On this day I was much more fortunate. I had a good look at several. I first encountered them as the trail goes down hill through some tall trees. I saw about four in this area and then another two as the trail went uphill again (although some of these could have been repeats). These birds came out onto the track several times and were calling loudly right beside the track. I managed to get one on video as well. The other reason for this trip was to have another crack at the Ground Parrot but I dipped again. Some of the other birds seen were lots of Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo, a Fan-tailed Cuckoo, two Eastern Whipbirds and a Rufous Fantail.
Nick