birding-aus

loud calls

To: Robyn Howard <>
Subject: loud calls
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:15:44 +1000
Hello Robyn,

        Thanks for the email, and I hasten to assure you that you haven't
messed up my distance calculations.

"George" is the Albert's Lyrebird to whom you refer.  I first tape-recorded
him in 1984, some years before Glen started the long process of convincing
George that a discreet human observer might be tolerated.

George is now about 30 years old.  I know him well, and for some years now
have been taping his song every breeding season - and hope to continue doing
so for so long as we both remain alive and well.  I've been studying
Albert's vocalisations since 1968, and George represents the only
opportunity I'll ever have to record and study the songs of a known
individual over most of his life.

George's territory straddles the West Cliff track. "Alf" and "Ernie" are two
of his neighbours named by Glen, but they don't tolerate a human presence.
And there are possibly two other singing males in that lek group.  But in
practice it's very easy to tell from the sound whether its a few hundred
metres away or 1500.

Cheers

Syd