birding-aus

Murray River sightings

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Murray River sightings
From: "Val Curtis" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:45:34 +1100
Went boating on the Murray River over Melbourne Cup weekend and saw some lovely birds. We went up-river from Yarrawonga and somewher near the confluence of the Ovens and Murray Rivers we saw some lovely birds. Best of all was an Azure Kingfisher feeding young. The nest ( I presume the young were still in the nest as I couldn't hear any sound from them) was out of sight beneath an overhang on the washed out bank of the river, I watched the adult take several food items to the nest. In the same area of bank there were SB Fairy Wrens feeding young and a Welcome Swallow 's nest built into the bank supported by an exposed tree root; they were also feeding oung. Soaring high overhead was a White-breasted Sea Eagle. Zillions of SC Cockatoos and Galahs on Lake Mulwala and two 'treesfull' of Little Black Cormorants in the lake on the return trip. There were plenty of other birds around in all the places we stopped and only two cattle were seen. The grass was almost knee high and there were plenty of young eucalypts seedlings emerging, also several species of native wildflowers. I thought it all looked very healthy but I'm not an expert. Val