birding-aus

Noisiest Bird

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Noisiest Bird
From: "Robyn Howard" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:50:55 +1000
Anyone who has lived with a Common Koel calling at their back door night and
day KNOWS that it is the noisiest bird in Australia.   Around mating time,
the volume and activity escalates.  I have no doubt when eggs are about to
be laid!

The worst thing this year is that the male has discovered a new call.   Most
of the time, he does the usual COO-EEE, (or one of the other standards),
but now he likes the occasional COO-EEE-EE.   You can almost ignore the
normal call if you try hard,  but the variation really jerks you back to
reality.   Much as I love my Koels, I am glad when breeding season is over
and the calls stop.   Last year, they brought juveniles to visit until after
the female left, well into March!

Sunday was a big activity day, but other than Figbirds, I don't know who is
breeding so late.   Even the Figbirds have been on the nest for a couple of
weeks now.

My Magpie-larks have not bred this year.   They had an unsuccessful nest
last year in December when the male was very young.   He arrived in June 03
as a juvenile - has a crippled left foot, so it is easy to know he is the
same bird.   Maybe they'll try again late this year.   We have had good rain
in the last three weeks finally.

Robyn

Maroochydore  SEQ