birding-aus

North West sightings

To: <>
Subject: North West sightings
From: "Adrian Boyle" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:29:29 +0800
Chris Hassell and myself surveyed the Port Headland and Dampier Salt Works over the past week.

Of interest to birding aus was 38 Red-necked Phalaropes at Port Headland and 2 at Dampier.
This is not uncommon particularly at Port Headland as they are seen there every year in these numbers.
The ponding system has slightly changed and the area which has previously held over 100 Asian Dowitchers was to deep at the time of the survey and only 5 could be located. Keep your eyes open they have to have gone somewhere.
Unfortunatly access is not permited to the general public, we were lucky enough to be invited on a Shorebird survey by Dampier Salt Limited.

Back in Broome I have just looked for the Grebe mentioned by Mike Carter yesterday but I could not find anything matching the description. I will keep checking over the next few days.
The Little Ringed Plover was still present along with 2 Yellow Wagtails, 3 Oriental Pratincole and 1 Gallinago Snipe.

Just thought id post an update on the Grebe.

Cheers
Adrian Boyle