birding-aus

Re Backyard bird feeding

To: "Peter Woodall" <>
Subject: Re Backyard bird feeding
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 18:56:57 +1100
Peter,

As I said putting out water is a compromise but except in arid environments
water is usually available to birds on a regular basis.  Water dishes, bird
baths etc. placed in sheltered sites are often used by small species and
large aggregations don't usually occur at a regular sized dish or bird bath.
I do think that there is a difference but if you are concerned then don't
supply either food or water.  I understand that the continued existence of a
number of rare species in the Birds Australia Gluepot Reserve is because
there isn't any permanent water in the forms of dams/tanks in some areas.
So if water is rarely available naturally in a particular area then an
argument can be made to not provide it artificially.
If water is provided it is essential that it be replaced daily as it can
also harbour diseases passed from one bird to another.

Happy Birding.

Greg