birding-aus

RFI:Blue-faced Parrot Finch-plumage enquiry.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: RFI:Blue-faced Parrot Finch-plumage enquiry.
From: "Keith & Lindsay Fisher" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 20:21:04 +1000
Hi Folks,
Our experience with Blue-faced Parrot Finches on Mt. Lewis is that apart from an immature bird seen in October, birds are generally present towards the end of November through to April/May with most sightings Jan-March. We have seen immature birds in January, February and April. We are not sure where they go for the rest of the year but do know some birds have altitudinal movements.
I've only seen one nest on Mt. Lewis, which was pointed out to me by John Young 30m up a tree, it consisted of a ball of moss.
As to how long it takes to attain Adult plumage you would have to guess at less than a year.

Regards,
Keith & Lindsay Fisher
Cairns, Far North Queensland.