birding-aus

NUMBERS OF BIRDWATCHERS IN AUSTRALIA

To: "Lorne Johnson" <>
Subject: NUMBERS OF BIRDWATCHERS IN AUSTRALIA
From: peter crow <>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:50:57 +1000
I think the number of Bird Watchers in Australia is a lot greater than most people think but I suppose all this depends on the definition of Bird Watcher.

There are the devoted (demented) ones who spend most weekends and sometimes many week days looking for or at birds. there are the interested one who are fairly knowledgeable but for various reasons spend very little time watching birds. Birds Aust South Qld has around 600 or more members many of which fall into the now and again category.

Birds Qld has around 650 members with about 350 never attending a group outing.

Boca has members in SEQ and there are at least half a dozen informal birding groups with thirty to fifty casual members.

At recent displays and promotions put on by BQ we spoke to some hundreds of persons who are very knowledgeable bird watchers but who have never thought about joining a group nor of going birding with others. some through no desire to, others through lack of time with work, kids etc.

The interest in birds in the community is great but many people don't have the time or knowledge to be serious. Many who do have the time don't know how to go about getting serious.

I estimate that in SEQ there are at least four to five thousand people who go out watch birds at least once each month with hundreds more who would like to but for various reasons don't.

Peter