birding-aus

Brisbane South

Subject: Brisbane South
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:32:36 +1000
Hi All
Spent some time on Brisbane southside at the weekend - local interest
only probably..

Saturday - Minnippi parklands, as I crossed Bulimba Creek I was just in
time to see a White-bellied Sea Eagle fly the opposite way carrying a
large, still wriggling, snake or eel in it's talons - quite spectacular.
First Sea eagle for Minnippi for me.

Sunday - stroll down Bulimba Creek - Arthur & Sheryl Keate's old haunt -
happy to report that Buff-banded Rail and Bushhen are alive and kicking.
The Rail more so as I surprised 'him' mating with 'her' - she looked
decidely unimpressed, an almost 'is that it', as he stalked off, wings
and tail spread and held as if in triumph, a shuffle of her feathers
then back to picking on the footpath. Dollar birds back in the same tree
near the bridge and other familiars - Forest Kingfisher on the same
branch over the creek, Magpielarks building a nest over the creek
crossing into the golf course. Miners harassing everything!
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......