birding-aus

Skulking Car Park Birds

To: <>
Subject: Skulking Car Park Birds
From: knightl <>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:05:26 +1000

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004, at 08:55  PM, Murray Lord wrote:

snip

Western Bristlebird - one seen extremely well at the carpark at Little Beach.  I have now ticked all three bristlebirds in carparks.

It is certainly interesting how the bristlebirds - normally very
difficult to see due to their habit of skulking in thick shrubbery -
are quite happy to flit about briefly in the open if someone builds a
car park or other open space in their territory.

I also saw [and photographed] the bristlebird in the Little Beach
carpark.  It appeared to have a nest somewhere behind the bay that
Frank OConnor recommends that people park in.  I initially parked the
bird hide in that bay, but found it hard to get a good view of the
bristlebird as it flew under the rear of the hide].  After moving the
car, and hunkering down in the corner of the bay, I had several close
views of the bird - one at 4 metres as it hopped along the rail with a grub in its bill and another at 6 metres when it perched on another
rail with a moth in its bill before flying across the bay about 2
metres from me.

Hopefully, the little chap won't become a road fatality [possible given its tendency to flit across the road and to hop along the edge in search of tucker] - fortunately the cars aren't travelling that fast as they travel through it's territory.

The other thing about Little Beach, is that it is one place where you
can hear bristlebirds, whipbirds and scrubbirds calling.

Regards, Laurie.