birding-aus

highlights, SEQ, 500m

Subject: highlights, SEQ, 500m
From: Judith L-A <>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:54:28 +1000
23-25 Oct 04 -- hot, smoky, occasional thunderstorm.

Yes, the Torresian Crows have completed their nest on the northern slope, and seem now to be brooding. On Saturday the two birds were, unusually, BOTH absent, and for an unusually long time. Some while after they'd come back together, I noticed a Channel-billed Cuckoo soaring overhead. Don't know if anything had gone on, or if the cuckoo was just casing the joint... The quite-large group of Figbirds seem to have gone into territorial overdrive, following the breaking of the dry season /drought. Our MBay fig tree seems to be largely theirs, at present, with the bowerbirds and others foraging more on the ground. I think I've located a 'practice' platform used by young male bowerbirds. Having seen lots of green birds active there from a distance, I investigated, and found a 'platform' exactly like the one in front of the bower on our place -- but, in this case, minus an actual bower...

Had a great birding experience on Sunday. Our northeast-facing deck juts over a slope, and I was sitting quietly waiting for the heat to abate, watching the TCs and bowerbirds and others, when the breeze abruptly dropped. At once the humidity became more apparent, and with this a cloud of insects rose from the ground. As this reached just above my eye-level, the birds began to come in -- beginning with the recently returned Spangled Drongos. What an extraordinarily elegant hawker this bird is -- like some kind of silk-black aerial ballet, it was. And the Little Wattlebirds, which fly up to the insect, pause in mid-air, then stretch their necks and pluck the creature as if from a shelf. Other birds which joined this hunting spectacle as close as ten feet from me were -- Grey Butcherbirds, Welcome Swallows, Magpie Larks, Dollarbirds, Noisy Miners, Figbirds-in-passing. (A 'peanut gllaery' of kookaburras and bowerbirds looked almost wistful.) With each one's differing flight/hunting style, you can imagine what a display it was. And then there were the shifts in the pattern of movement occasioned by the different levels of and responses to aggressiveness. And the occasional near-miss! THEN, as clouds gathered and haziness pressed in from the east - SWIFTS! White-throated Needletails came streaming by, quite high, but I guess the insects which had successfully passed through the bird-storm below had reached Swift-level by then.
        A great day.