birding-aus

Cane Toads spreading!

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Cane Toads spreading!
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:28:43 +1000
We still get lots of toads in Fig Tree Pocket in Brisbane (certainly
not hundreds though).  I'm told one of the big concerns about the
spreading of Cane Toads is a particular chytrid fungus that is
believed to be responsible for many native frog extinctions and may be
carried by the toads into new areas.  Whether the fungus is really the
cause of the problem is still an area of contention amongst experts so
if someone more knowledgable on the topic wants to weigh in with their
two cents...

Not really a birding topic, but frogs make great bird food right?

Chris - Brisbane